SHE LEFT HER FRAGRANCE

 


“Hey, I hope you are coming home Barakat?” she asked

“I’m sorry, will be next holiday” I replied 

“Take care okay, sora fun awon boys…”

“most just wanna chop and clean mouth”


Barakat smiled as she dropped the call

Zuliyat, pretty cousin, fine like a Barbie doll

pretty eyes, always rolling like a bowl 

slim and tender, soft hair in curl 


a tough lady like an Amazon 

goal getter, always raising her head above the horizon 

constantly struggling to improve her health zone 

now she lies 6 feet all alone 


I wish I had come home that weekend 

never thought that will be the end 

when I received the news, I ran insane to a dead end 

I cried so hard as your memories flashes in my head


I envisioned how you fought hard for breathe 

as you lay vibrating on the hospital bed

your body going cold, your eyes all red 

as you stretch hard inhaling your last breathe


life had been unfair to you Zuliyat

despite your health challenges and yearns 

you never for once gave up nor give in  

“from cradle to grave” yours was too early innit 


you left nothing behind but your fragrance 

the sweet smell fills your room in great ordinance

I want to lie and stay in there forever 

because I feel your presence, no other place can be ever better 


rest well Zuliyat

I hope you smile as you walk to His gate 

I know you are in allah’s bosom 

heaven has gained yet another wisdom 



DEDICATED: to Zuliyat Oyindamola 1998-2022 🕊




@talk2leigh



11:59am

7 Aug 2022

Comments

Popular Posts