HOORAH, I’M COMING HOME

 


from the blood full war and ballistic gun sound 

trenches shattered from bombs so loud 

dog tags lying helpless, crying for rescue 

you dare not run to it, you better wait for cue 


from aimless shooting, dodging and advances 

switch of plans and tactics 

helmet falling from your head and no time to pick 

soldiers falling to the ground, tired and weak 


looking at your brother, not knowing who falls next 

he cries saying he’s going home but that isn’t the best 

on battle field people say such stupid things 

emotional damage no be beans 


we came here in thousands, now left with hundred 

able bodied men helplessly lying in body rags 

I can’t mention friends I’ve lost in this battle

we are worthless, slaughtered like cattle 


we signed up for wars we don’t know

training hard night and day in a row 

knowing fully well we may go and never return 

if you’re alive right now, be thankful it’s not yet your turn


still on the battle field I duck 

ran towards Adewale to pick his dismembered body with no luck 

his hand dangles as I run to safety 

even this safety isn’t assured daily 


running zig zag to dodge bullet aims

bodies smeared the ground, but who’s to blame 

I’m far from my team carrying Adewale, this is no AWOL

lord help us, this is sick and lame 


In no time a bullet whiz past my ear as I fell 

hemorrhaging as I lie down from a punctured chest 

as my breathe starts to slow down, I could hear my heartbeat’s countdown

I looked to the sky with blood in my lungs and say “hoorah, I’m coming home”



@talk2leigh



12:30am

8 Sept 2022

Comments

  1. Awesome...... you almost nailed it well, but would have, if youv gotten at least a near experience of war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but if I had gotten a near experience of it, I might have gone with the battle, I won’t even have the morale to write this bcos of emotional disarray

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts